Saturday, February 6, 2016

Saturday Scribblings: Eating Out & Baking In

So I've decided when we eat out or try a new business, I'm going to write up a review on Yelp.  Here's the one I wrote up yesterday-

After first Friday at Greenbaum's Quilted Forest, my Mom offered me a choice of Great Harvest or a new place she had read about in the local paper. I'm always happy to be the guinea pig for food adventures, so I naturally chose the new place. Thankfully, she knew where it was located since the signage left a bit to be desired.  With this being the case, I was a bit leery about this new place. However, from the moment we walked into Tres M Bistro, I was pleasantly surprised. 
The first thing I noticed, being a big fan of The Great British Bake Off, was the display case of delicious looking pastries. The place was spotless and decorated simply but with just enough to give it ambiance.
We were greeted by a very nice young man who handed us menus and informed us we would order at the counter then sit where we'd like. The choices were numerous and all looked tasty. Mom decided on the crème brûlée waffle while I chose the banana, Nutella and cream crêpe. We both ordered coffee which came in large mugs. The young man even helped my mom carry her coffee to the table. 
It seemed like we had just started talking and enjoying the good coffee when our order came. 

The crêpe was as good as any I had while in Paris, and mom said the waffle was the best in Salem.
The only bad part was we were too full to even think of taking any pastries home with us- totally our faults as we ate every bite! I can't say how much I was happy to have chosen Tres M Bistro.  I'm looking forward to going back next week with my husband to get to try a pastry or two!! (I ended up receiving a very kind response from the owner which makes me want to go back soon!)

Today started with praying the liturgy of the hours, like I try to do everyday. After that I moved right into The Great Keatley Baking Challenge (TGKBC) for cookie day.  David had asked me for a variety of cookies for his birthday which is coming up in a couple of weeks plus this Tuesday is "Serra Sweets" at Mt. Angel Seminary. It's the day before Ash Wednesday which is known as Fat Tuesday. The Salem Serra Club helps to promote this by taking a bunch of goodies to the seminarians. Since it's something I can do plus I know how much fun it is to hang out with the members of the Serra Club and th seminarians! By making cookies today, I was able to "kill 3 birds with one stone" by making enough cookies for all three things- David's birthday, Fat Tuesday & TGKBC! I made three different cookies- chocolate biscotti with a poured fondant drizzle, candied ginger & chocolate chip as well as gluten free peanut butter. They were all fairly easy and were fun to make. Somehow baking all day, even when it can be tiring, can be relaxing when it's for special people. Here's what I made:


Looking forward to a day off from baking tomorrow. I'm excited that we get to spend the day with our seminarian, Joshua, as we attend Mass at St. Joseph's followed by the Knights of Columbus Seminarian Breakfast. We'll come home to be able to skype with th other kids which will be icing on the cake, if I don't mind saying myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment